Patterns

Thursday, March 12, 2009

More fun than it looks...

In December I showed pictures of some beaded snowflakes I made to use up thread. Jane Eborall suggested way back then that I attach the snowflakes to bangles instead of stiffening them with glue. Of course, being a little bone-headed it took awhile for the idea to sink in. I tatted around a bangle for another project and loved it! So now I'm on a binge of bangle tatting. For sure I'm going to add the snowflakes to some bangles. Here's a blue bangle I'm covering to make a bracelet for a friend. Bangles are easier to cover than the small plastic rings because the shuttle can fit through the bangle. When you cover a plastic ring you basically tat as though making a split chain. A bangle is more like encapsulating.


Just in case you haven't done this before and because I'm so enthralled with tatting on bangles I'm showing how I do it.


For the first half of the double stitch pull the thread behind the bangle to form a hole between the uncovered bangle and the thread.

Then bring the shuttle from front to back through the hole made by the thread and the bare bangle.





















Pull thread up snug to form the first 1/2 of the double stitch.







For the 2nd half pull the thread in front of the bangle to form another hole. Then bring the shuttle from back to front through the space.


Then snug up to form the double stitch. No flipping involved. Throw on some picots, rings and beads and you have a new bracelet.

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it finished! The color is very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you're doing with the bangle. The thread color and beads look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am looking forward to trying out this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually ended up with one of those tools but couldn't ever figure out what it was. So excited to try this kind of thing out considering I have it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dear thanks for sharing, i use to make laces.so when I'M trying to make flowers it is not coming out neatly at the end . while ending a big knot coming out.how to end the flower;s motives neat n tidy.
    waiting for your positive reply.
    www.nehaakalalok.com

    ReplyDelete

Anyone out there? Say hi if you are......